Even though a few children are allergic to peanut butter, for most kids it is a lunchtime staple. There are lots of great stories about peanut butter, jam and jelly, and sandwiches. Jazz up your storytime by leading everyone in the song “Found a Peanut,” and make one of the treats in Remy Charlip’s Peanut Butter Party (Tricycle Press, 1999). Or, make a simple non-allergic art project by gluing packing “peanuts” to paper to look like the fleece of a lamb, snow, etc.
- Alexander, Sue. WORLD FAMOUS MURIEL AND THE MAGIC MYSTERY. Muriel uses delicious peanut butter cookies to lure a magician out of hiding.
- Westcott, Nadine. PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY. This picture book version of the song and finger play is also available in a Big Book version. The kids will quickly sing-along to this old favorite.
- Radlauer, Ruth. BREAKFAST BY MOLLY. Molly makes breakfast for her mother, and her recipe includes peanut butter.
- Lord, John Vernon. GIANT JAM SANDWICH. When wasps invade their village, the residents have a clever way of trapping them.
- Mayer, Mercer. YUMMY LUNCH. Little Critter makes his mom a sandwich.