Superheroes can be a great theme for a school-age storytime. Start with one of these ideas:
- Start out by reading a couple of “Superhero” themed storybooks: Max by Bob Graham, Noodle Man: the Pasta Superhero by April Pulley Sayre, Superhero Max by Lawrence David, KAPOW! by George O’Connor, and Captain Pajamas by Bruce Whatley.
- Be sure to have lots of comics, graphic novels, and superhero novels available, like Dav Pilkey’s “Captain Underpants” series.
- Many activities are available at Dav Pilkey’s website .
- Do a mini workshop on drawing comic book superheros, using drawing books and teen volunteers who are taking art classes.
- Pass the Kryptonite game: pass around a large Styrofoam “rock” while music plays. When the music stops, you are out if you are stuck with the Kryptonite (sort of along the lines of musical chairs). Use music from superhero movie soundtracks like “Superman” or “Star Wars.”
- Super Powers Game: try different tests of your senses. For Super Hearing, play some sound effects records and see who can guess what is making the sound. For Super Smell, try identifying different items by smell, while blindfolded.